RATHER DIE FREE, THEN TO LIVE ENSLAVED




(the Azorian coat of Arms)

(the inscription is the title of the blog)

Azores is an archipelago smack in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean located 1,300 kl  west of Portugal,an autonomous region of that country.

(autonomous means that we are part of Portugal, but that we are self governed as well)

(Luis Teixeira map of the Azores (c.1584)


History Indicates that These jewels of land were discovered 
in 1427. With the exception of Santa Maria, the Azores are Volcanic in Nature. Periodic eruptions and earthquakes have devastated Island settlements throughout history.  The average temperature in winter is 14 c and in the summer it is a very comfortable 23c.








Terceira Island was the third Island to be discovered, and its name literally means "Third Island".  It was originally called the Island of Jesus Christ and was first settled in 1450.

Terceria is also the Island that my Parents, grandparents, and great grand parents were born and raised on. I was Born in Toronto, Canada, but spent the first years of my life there from about 3mths old to the age of 4.  My fondest and greatest memories are there. The first flavours of fruit, fresh and ripe from the trees. The all consuming, opening of my senses,thought, and self awareness brought to life, with just a mouth full of fresh mint, from my grandmothers garden. my first yellow lollipop. My first big, red balloon, of which I "still" remember the smell and texture.  The elevating aroma of the Ocean filling, my tiny nostrils.  Giant, GIANT, Fluffy clouds, which I was convinced that, if I merely reach out far enough from my stroller, I could touch them.  I was never able to(not for lack of trying), but they certainly touched me.  The Ocean is absolutely inescapable there, of which I remember now as one of my first impressions of the world. absolutely inescapable!!!





Azorian flag. Nine stars for nine Islands.






The Islands were named the Azores, or "hawk Islands" by the Portuguese for the number of Hawks and Falcons found there.


The total population of the Azores in 1993 was 237,800. the spares population is scattered through out the Islands. Azorian emigration to North America has been a major factor in Azorean history, economy, and culture.  Beginning in the 19th century when Islanders joined the crews of American whaling ships, large numbers of Azorians have emigrated to the United States and Canada.  By the 1990's, more Azorians resided in North America than in the Archipelago.

It was a life shattering earthquake totaling every thing that propelled my parents, to emigrate to Canada.  The fact that I had a Canadian citizenship, furthered the expedient transfer of my Family and I.  Talk about making the best out of adversity, although I can't help wondering, what my life would have been like, if we had stayed to clean up that mess. The last time I visited, I was thirteen. The next time I visit, I sure hope that there is a persuasion compelling enough to bring me back.

www.theazoresislands.blogspot.com






Thursday, November 27, 2008

0 Comments:

playlist.com


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones